Comfort food. That’s one of the first words that comes to mind when I think of Macaroni and Cheese. I could eat a whole pan of this in one sitting (#truestory). I’ve been eating this since I was kiddo and it’s always been a family favorite. If mom lived closer, I’m fairly certain there would be a demand for a family dinner once a week with her infamous Baked Macaroni and Cheese on the menu. My mouth is watering just writing this post.
A few weeks ago, my parents visited from New Jersey. I asked her to bring the recipe with her… I’ve chickened out making it myself up to this point. Little did I know she would show up with a recipe card from 1973. There’s truth in the words, oldie but a goodie! One night, my mom made a double batch and the five of us devoured that 3 quart casserole dish of mac ‘n cheese. It was my husbands first time having it and, well, he asked for more. Being the spoiled son-n-law that he is, my mom did make another double batch for him (but he shared. Phew!)
I’m over the moon excited to share this recipe with all of you! Who knows? It might become a family fave for you too…
|Baked Macaroni and Cheese|| |
- 8 oz. package elbow macaroni
- ¼ cup butter or margarine
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups white Cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat over to 375. Cook macaroni as package directs; drain.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in medium saucepan. Remove from heat. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring. Reduce heat and simmer mixture 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Stir in 1-1/2 cups cheese and macaroni. Pour into a 1-1/2 quart, shallow casserole dish. Sprinkle remaining cheese over top.
- Bake 15 minutes or until cheese is golden brown.
Delicious and easy! I’m certain it will have you coming back for more too.
Paired with stewed tomatoes and apple sauce, dinner is served! Enjoy.