Vanilla Butter Cake
Today’s motto: Eat cake because it’s somebody’s birthday somewhere. YES! And if you’re a newbie to cake making, this Vanilla Butter Cake is a great place to start. Let’s ditch the box mix and whip up something new. It’s easy to make and you sprinkle with confectionary sugar. Therefore you have nothing to lose. And there’s no icing required.
Be sure to sign up for my email to get new
recipes and creative ideas sent right to your inbox!
Let’s start with a confession. Cake is something I don’t make often and when I do, they’re boxed. My philosophy is, “Why not?”
Most people are either cooks or bakers. Sure there are the lucky few who can do both with ease. I’m not one of them and I’m a little jelly (aka jealous). Haha. So when it comes to birthday cakes, we usually order from Sam’s Club.
Cake is the answer.
Who cares what the question is?
Are you a baker? I see some of these beautiful cakes and cupcakes and wish I had the time, patience and energy. Today’s Vanilla Butter Cake recipe is nothing fancy, in fact, it’s perfectly simple.
I’m always on the lookout for recipes to try. This one was spotted on a vanilla extract box. Consequently it did not disappoint.
What is the difference between butter cake and yellow cake?
Butter cake is made with butter. While yellow cake can be a butter cake or made with shortening, oil, etc. However, it has egg yolks in, which gives it the yellow color.
How to Make Vanilla Butter Cake
And with that being said, let’s jump in and get to baking. I certainly hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
Vanilla Butter Cake
- Beat butter and brown sugar together for 3 minutes on high in a large bowl, until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, and extract.
- Stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- On low, beat half of the dry mixture into the butter mixture until blended; slowly add the milk and beat until blended.
- Add remaining flour mixture and beat until well blended. Spread in a greased and floured (or use a non-stick spray with flour) 12-cup pan (10x10 square or bundt cake pan).
- Bake at 350 F (180 C) in the oven for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 15 minutes. Invert cake onto a cooling rack to cool completely before cutting. Sprinkle with confectioners sugar.
Hugs and Blessings!