In my humble opinion, strawberry season comes and goes a little too quickly! However, when you can find them, be sure to whip up a batch of these Mini Strawberry Galettes. Made with a flaky, buttery crust — you’re sure to fall in love with this rustic dessert!
Sadly enough, I’ve only been strawberry picking a few times. I’m not sure why either, because I love doing it and I love strawberries!
If I had to pick an all-time favorite dessert using strawberries, I would have to say that it’s Strawberry Shortcake. I’m a huge fan of using Bisquick for the Shortcake part too. That’s how mom made them when we were growing up, so I guess you could say it just stuck with me.
Dang, my mouth is just watering thinking about it…. aaand I digress. Haha.
Anywho, these Strawberry Galettes are new to me, but another delicious option using the star of the show… strawberries! I also appreciate how they can be perfectly imperfect too! Galette is a term used in french cuisine to describe flat round or freeform crusty cakes. In other words — messy looking is a-okay!
Desserts are the fairy tales of the kitchen,
a happily-ever-after to supper.
The sky is the limit on the fillings, but I went with strawberries for today. I bet peach or blueberries would be delicious too. Guess what? You can even make these with savory fillings as well. Oh the scrumptious possibilities!!
At first I thought this recipe looked a little intimidating! Nope, that was not the case — so don’t let a long list of ingredients and instructions scare you off. Plus, you’ll find that these mini desserts to be well worth it when they’re done and ready to devour.
Willing to try your hand at these Strawberry Galettes? Trust me, you won’t regret it!
Mini Strawberry Galettes with Flaky Butter Pastry
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup full fat sour cream
- 1 egg beaten, for egg washing before baking
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and halved (quarter if larger strawberries)
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar (optional)
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, salt and sugar.
- Add butter and combine with pastry cutter.
- Add sour cream. Use a fork to mix into the flour, until combined.
- Form the dough into 8 equal balls.
- Sprinkle each dough ball with flour and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least one hour.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and let sit out for a couple of minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375F
- In a medium bowl, mix together strawberries, sugar, cornstarch and orange juice. Set aside.
- On a floured surface, roll each of the dough balls out to a rough circle about 5-6 inches in diameter.
- Place the rolled dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Place about 1/4 cup of strawberry mixture into the center of each dough circle, leaving a 1-inch lip around the edge (for folding)
- Fold the edges of the dough up until they just reach the strawberry mixture. Don't worry if they aren't perfect, it adds character.
- Brush the pastry with egg wash.
- Bake for 25-40 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
- Cool completely on wire rack.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve!