This Vietnamese Pho Soup Recipe is not only deliciously flavorful, but you can whip this up using your Instant Pot too! Another selling feature for this recipe is that YOU get to pick the toppings.
Delicious Pho Soup Recipe
I’m one of those girls who loves a good soup, broth, and/or a noodle recipe with broth (i.e. ramen noodles). Maybe I’m just a simple eater, I don’t know. However, a good soup can be pure comfort food in my mind. What do you think?
This was a new recipe to me, so if you’ve never tried a pho soup before — I guess we’ll be taking this cooking experiment/experience together. I don’t eat a lot of Vietnamese dishes, but this could very well be the start of new foodie relationship (wink-wink).
Let me point out a couple of things that make this dish even more attractive, ok? First of all, you can make it all in one pot, your Instant Pot. Woo-hoo! Not having to dirty a gazillion pans is always a selling point for me.
Secondly, the soup is the canvas! You get to add your own toppings… like bok choy, rice noodles, fresh herbs (basil, cilantro, or mint), sliced radishes, sliced mushrooms, sliced carrots, etc.
Let’s grab all the ingredients along with our instant pots and making this Pho Soup Recipe.
Pho Soup Recipe
- 1 tbsp oil oil
- 1 large yellow onion, halved
- 1 apple, halved
- 2-inche piece of ginger sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 3 cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 star anise pods
- 5 cloves
- 32 oz beef bone broth
- 32 oz chicken stock
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 pound "philly style" sliced steak
- Lime, sliced into wedges for squeezing
- Add the oil to your Instant Pot and turn on to “sauté”. Once the pot is warm, add the onion and apple (place both cut-side down), ginger, cardamom, cinnamon stick, star anise, and cloves. Sauté the food until slightly charred, approximately 4 minutes.
- Turn off the Instant Pot. Without removing anything, add the beef bone broth, chicken stock, fish sauce, sugar, and salt. Place the lid on the Instant Pot and select Soup/Broth for 20 minutes.
- While the broth is cooking, prep your toppings.
- When the Instant Pot is done, let the pressure naturally decrease for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, release the pressure and carefully open the Instant Pot.
- Using a slotted spoon remove everything from the pot except for the Pho broth. Once everything is removed, put the philly sliced steak into the Pho broth to cook. Stir the steak slices while in the broth. The philly sliced steak needs to be thin to completely cook. If you have thicker steak slices, simple turn on the slow cook setting on the Instant Pot and let the broth cook the meat until it is done (depending on the thickness of
- Put your toppings in a bowl and top with the Pho broth and steak. Squeeze a little lime on top and serve.
Additional soup recipes to try:
Black Bean Soup
Hearty Southern Italian Soup
Poor Man’s Soup
Be sure to visit with me here too:
Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter | Google+
Leave a Reply