Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
Super creamy and velvety, these Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes are not only simple to make, but they’re also delicious. And depending on your dietary preferences, there is a lot of flexibility with the ingredients. So, with Thanksgiving just around the corner, this side dish is sure to be an absolute crowd-pleaser.
You might remember when I shared my Mashed Sweet Potatoes. If I’m being honest, I’d say that mashed potatoes are one of my absolute favorite side dishes. Likewise, there are even a few meals that wouldn’t be the same without them. Ha.
Be sure to sign up for my email to get
new recipes and creative ideas
sent right to your inbox!
Don’t forget to save to Pinterest…
Until recently, I’ve really only enjoyed mashed potatoes made on the stovetop. My dad has always made a mean, creamy mashed potato. Once in the mixer, he eyeballed his milk and butter until the consistency was smooth and velvety. My dad loves butter, so they’re always lathered in that on the top too. So good.
When I got married, I became the designated mashed potato maker in our home. For some reason, I chose a lazier method. However, being fair to myself, I think I enjoyed a lumpy mashed potato while eating out one.
No peeling was required. I simply cube the red potatoes and keep them nice and lumpy when whipping them up in my KitchenAid mixer. I also eyeball the milk and butter but kept my consistency a little less smooth (wink-wink).
However, with this Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes recipe, there is no mess from the water overflowing on the stovetop, you don’t have to check the potatoes and there’s no an additional pan to wash. That’s what we call winning friends.
Enter the Instant Pot
The introduction to the ingenious Instant Pot blew most of our minds. Meals could be prepared in minutes. It’s certainly a lifesaver for those who have a shortage of time. Another favorite side dish is the Pressure Cooker Creamed Corn recipe I shared a while back. I love corn paired with mashed potatoes, you undoubtedly have a match made in heaven.
Making Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
Potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
Salt and Pepper, to taste
Place potatoes in the pot. Season as desired. Close the lid and vent. Set on high pressure for 10 minutes.
Manually release the steam and open the valve and lid. After that, drain the potatoes.
Add remaining ingredients and mash or blend (with a hand blender) until the mashed potatoes are creamy.
Free up the stove for other side dishes, and whip up a side of Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes. Rich, creamy, and ready to eat in less than 20 minutes, this easy to make side dish will not disappoint. Enjoy.
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- 6 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 cups broth
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the potatoes in the Instant Pot and cover with the broth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Close the lid and vent. Set on high pressure for 10 minutes.
- Manually release the steam and open the valve and lid. Drain the potatoes by discarding the stock, but keeping the potatoes in the Instant Pot.
- Add the remaining ingredients (butter, sour cream, milk, and seasonings). Mash until everything is combined and the mashed potatoes are creamy or the consistency of your liking.
- Double or triple this recipe to feed a large crowd.
- For a healthier alternative, substitute the butter for ghee and/or the sour cream for Greek yogurt for a healthier alternative.
- Interested in a vegan twist? Use vegan butter, yogurt, and almond milk.
Hugs and Blessings!