A delicious classic Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe that is pure comfort food simmered in a dutch oven. Made with a rotisserie chicken, black beans, salsa, and other delicious ingredients — this recipe can come together in about 20 minutes.
As the winter weather has officially rolled in, soup is something I like to have in the rotation. However, I live with a soup party pooper. In other words, my husband doesn’t care much for soups. So, I have to make it in small batches or share. Haha.
Be sure to sign up for my email to get new
recipes and creative ideas sent right to your inbox!
I remember when I was single I would take the instant packets to work. The soup mixes you’d add water to. It’s been a very long time since I’ve bought one of those. No judgment here if you do buy them, it just shows how far I’ve come in the kitchen since getting married.
Side note: Complete transparency. I still do buy canned soups. Progresso soups are a great option for lunches and, well, Campbell’s Tomato Soup is a staple for winter. A must-have for pairing with grilled cheese sandwiches, right?
Anywho, one of the many things I love about soup is all of the options. From chicken to vegetable to creamy to brothy and many more. So many options and so little time.
One of my favorite soups is Lentil Soup. Despite that, I only seem to make it on New Year’s Eve. Silly me (insert facepalm).
Do you like soup? What is your favorite?
What is chicken tortilla soup made of?
How can I thicken soup?
To thicken soup (or gravy), I use cornstarch. Go with a one to one ratio of cornstarch (or flour) and water. Stir 1 to 2 tablespoons of cornstarch with 1 to 2 tablespoons of cold water, until smooth and pasty. Whisk the mixture into your soup.
Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- rotisserie chicken
- chicken broth
- roasted peppers
- In a pan or dutch oven, combine ingredients.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 2 cups water
- 1 15.5-16 oz jar black bean and corn salsa
- 1 14.5 oz can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 12 oz package frozen fire-roasted tricolor peppers*
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- tortilla chips, crushed
- sour cream, optional
- In a 4-qt. Dutch oven, combine the first six ingredients (through Oregano).
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer 5 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally
- If desired, top each serving with tortilla chips and sour cream.
Hugs and Blessings!