Easy tomato soup recipe that is truly comfort food at its best!
Winter temperatures are a great excuse to warm up with a hot bowl of soup. Don’t you agree? I love soup… and while I enjoy canned soup on occasion, I love a good homemade soup too! I’ve made many homemade soups in my day; however, I had never tried my hand at an easy tomato soup recipe. Well, there’s no better time than the present, eh?
I think my love for soup started as a child. My mom made some delicious soups. My mouth is watering just thinking about some of them. Potato Soup was one of my faves. Would you believe that my hubby isn’t a big fan of soup? He doesn’t seem to think it’s a meal. Woe is me. I don’t let that stop me. No siree! I enjoy a lot of soup during the lunch hour, which is exactly when this soup was made.
Easy Tomato Soup Recipe
- 2 can 14.5 ounces each diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic, undrained
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 carton 48 ounces chicken broth
- Place the tomatoes (with juices) in a blender; cover and blend until pureed.
- In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and cook until tender.
- Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute longer.
- Remove from heat; stir in the flour until smooth.
- Gradually whisk in broth.
- Add pureed tomatoes; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.