Apple Cinnamon Roll Cake Recipe
With fall quickly approaching (woo-hoo), I’m getting super excited about Hot Caramel Apple Cider, Apple Crisp, and Pumpkin Dump Cake. And with the fall season comes apple picking too. Therefore, it seemed appropriate to share this Apple Cinnamon Roll Cake Recipe with y’all today.
This giant cinnamon roll cake is perfect for fall. And being made with apple cider and apple sauce, it’s a treat everyone will love. So, my question for you is, are you ready for fall? Apple recipes and more?
Be sure to sign up for my email to get new recipes
and creative ideas sent right to your inbox!
Whenever I’m sharing an apple recipe, I’m always reminded of the years we lived in upstate New York. On many occasions, we would go apple picking as a family or with church friends and family. So many great memories.
Sadly enough, I think I’ve only been apple picking once or twice since that time. However, I still enjoy using apples in recipes. For example, a few of my favorites include Apple Crisp, Bite-Size Apple Pies, or this Apple and Cheese Danish.
And while I didn’t use apples for my Slow Cooker Apple Butter, I did use apple sauce. It’s so good and delicious.
Nevertheless, here we are today with another apple-flavored recipe. So, let’s take a look at how to make this cinnamon roll cake recipe.
A soft and fluffy cake
with a sweet and spicy taste.
How to Make a Giant Cinnamon Roll Cake
Ingredients for Dough:
Instant dry yeast
Ingredients for Filling:
Directions for Cinnamon Roll Cake:
Mix the apple cider and the butter together. Add applesauce, brown sugar, egg, cinnamon, nutmeg, and dry yeast. After that, you’ll add the flour and with the help of a spatula, stir until incorporated.
Transfer dough to a floured surface and knead for 3 minutes, until a soft and elastic dough forms. Return to the bowl and cover. Let it rise for 1 hour.
Meanwhile, mix the brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg together in a bowl.
After the dough rises, gently push on the dough to deflate it and return it to a floured surface. Roll the dough into a rectangle. Spread the butter onto the dough and sprinkle spice mix.
Cut the dough into five 2 inch wide strips. Roll up one strip and place in an 8″ cast iron skillet. After that, you’ll coil the remaining strips around the first one, shaping a giant cinnamon roll. Cover the skillet with a cloth and let it rest for 40 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake the Cinnamon Roll Cake for 45 minutes or until golden brown.
Optional: Make a simple icing by whisking 1 cup confectioners’ sugar, 2–3 Tablespoons milk, and 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract together in a bowl. Add milk if you’d like a thinner icing or confectionary sugar for a thicker icing.
- Feel free to use the same dough to make traditional cinnamon rolls.
- Use apple butter or pumpkin butter for the filling (yummy).
Ready to enjoy a slice?
So, what do you think? Looks and sounds delicious, right? Well, give it a try and let me know what you think… Enjoy.
Cinnamon Roll Cake Recipe
- 1/3 cup apple cider
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg
- 3 tsp instant dry yeast
- 3 cups flour
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- In a mixing bowl, combine the apple cider and melted butter together. Add the applesauce, brown sugar, egg, cinnamon, nutmeg, and dry yeast.
- Add the flour and with the help of a wooden spoon or spatula, stir until incorporated.
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead for approximately 3 minutes (or knead with mixer), until a soft, elastic dough forms. Return to the bowl and cover with foil, cloth, or saran wrap. Let it rise for 1 hour.
- While the dough is rising, mix the filling spices together in a separate bowl.
- Return dough to a floured surface. Roll into an 8x10 inch rectangle. Spread the butter onto the dough and sprinkle with the brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the dough into five 2 inch wide strips. Roll up one strip and place it in the center of the skillet or pan. Coil the remaining strips around the first one, shaping a giant cinnamon roll.
- Cover the skillet/pan, let it rest for 40 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place cinnamon roll cake in the oven and bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown.
Hugs and Blessings!