Hello from my neck of the woods to yours! Aaaaaand, Happy Spring! I probably should have said that last weekend, but it slipped my mind.
I saw patches of daffodils popping up here and there while driving into town this past week. It made my heart so happy. I truly love seeing all the signs of Spring.
Psst! Let’s keep in touch! You know you want to. Be sure to sign up for e-mail updates! Click on that SUBSCRIBE button in the upper right-hand corner, or use the subscription box in the sidebar. As a result, you’ll get some happy mail in your Inbox.
1. It’s official! I’m a member of our HOA Board. I used to say that I didn’t want to be on it because I didn’t want to hear all the neighborhood drama, but I like our President, and he asked, so I obliged.
This past week, I went to my first official meeting and met some great people. I think it will be good in the long run — plus, I want to be sure that we keep our property values up.
2. Have you heard of Martin Houses? I learned about it this past week. And apparently, we’ve had a few of the houses put up around our neighborhood. Some have said they’ve helped with mosquitos. The birds they attract and provide homes to are Purple Martins. I found that there seem to be some misconceptions about mosquitos. Regardless, I love the idea and some of the houses are quite lovely.
I think I might want one now for our backyard. Do you have any experience with martin houses or purple martins?
3. Happy Anniversary to the Weekender (a little late). I didn’t realize it, but as of February 13th, we’ve been catching up each weekend for a whole year. Sure, I missed a weekend here and there — but I’m so happy that it’s been such a success.
THANK YOU for hanging out with me every Saturday/Sunday. You’re the best!
4. We bought our bikes last Saturday and took a 3-mile ride on Sunday. Yes, my bum hurt, but I love biking, and I can’t wait to head out to some local trails. We’re still sorting out the bike rack situation.
I got the Marlin 6 Trek Bike (pictured above). It’s a beauty. Unfortunately, the only available color was orange. I could’ve ordered a different color, but the wait time could’ve been up to a year. Steve thought I would want to wait. NOPE. In my mind, it’s a bike — not a fashion accessory. The orange isn’t awful, and it looks outdoorsy.
Now, the helmet color was non-negotiable. Haha.
5. I’ve been obsessing about wearing a suit jacket with a graphic tee. I think I saw it on a tv show, and then I saw a woman wearing the combo at the Farmers Market last weekend. So, yesterday afternoon I went on a hunt for a blazer (or two).
As I walked to my car, I thought I’d swing by J. Jill and take a quick stroll through the store (which sits outside the mall)… I love some of their linen pieces.
One of the first things I saw was this seersucker blazer, and I fell in love. The jacket is versatile. It could be dressed up and paired with florals, solids, graphic tees.
The price tag was a little steep. I told the saleswoman I loved the blazer but wasn’t prepared to drop that kind of money and asked if there were any coupons floating around. She offered me a 30% off coupon. The stars aligned, friends. So, I purchased the blazer. The takeaway: Always ask about coupons.
6. The Giving Plate. Are you familiar with what this is? My mom mentioned that she recently used her giving plate when taking snacks to her small group. She told the host to keep the plate and pass it on when the time was right.
Who knew? I think we should all buy one and share some goodies with a friend, shut-in, neighbor, co-worker, etc. It’s sure to add some joy along the way too.
7. Do you have a strong community of people who get you? A friend shared a book she was reading on Facebook this week called Find Your People: Building Deep Community in a Lonely World by Jennie Allen. I added it to my Amazon cart.
Having a community is so important, and as we’ve gotten older, we’ve found that it can be a little harder to find it. Anywho, in case you might be feeling a little isolated or lonely, maybe you could benefit from this book.
8. Would you believe that Girl Scout cookie season has come and gone, and I bought ZERO this year. Want to know why? Aldi. 😂
My favorite Girl Scout cookies were always the Tagalongs, and my husbands were the Samoas. However, I felt like the Tagalongs were more cookie than peanut butter over the past few years.
For myself, the cookies were better, and, most importantly, there was more peanut butter, which will always win me over. The best part, they’re a $1.50 package.
I like to treat myself to a couple of cookies on the weekends, and if I’m being truthful, it takes a great deal of self-control not to eat the whole package. Haha.
9. I was so excited to share another post with y’all this week. Be sure to check it out, Natural Egg Dye using Black Tea. Spoiler, the eggs look a little wooden.
Around the Web:
These Four Ingredient Protein Bars.
This Easy DIY Easter Wreath.
These Spring Decorating Ideas.
These Felt Daffodils (oldie, but a goodie).
These Chocolate Flowers.