Soup, Stew and Chili season is officially here! How about whipping up a batch of this Sausage and Sweet Potato Chili? A slow cooker recipe that is not only easy to make, but has delicious flavor? Yes, please!
Slow Cooker Sausage and Sweet Potato Chili
Earlier this week I was able to wear my Uggs and it seriously made me soooo happy! St. Louis hasn’t had much of the cold temps, as it tends to come and go. Nevertheless, I love the cold weather. Growing up in Upstate New York gave me a greater appreciation for it — especially the snow.
Warming up to a bowl of soup, stew or chili is one of many things I enjoy about the winter months. Earlier this year (October) I partnered with Red Gold® on their #HelpCrushHunger campaign and did a segment on a local TV station. So, I did’t just want to share this recipe with the locals, so I decided to share this Sausage and Sweet Potato Chili recipe with all of you as well.
Feeling a little skeptical about some of the ingredients? I was too; however, I was pleasantly surprised how tasty this recipe was.
Sausage and Sweet Potato Chili
- 1 pound ground Italian Sausage
- 1 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 28 ounce can Red Gold® Crushed Tomatoes or 2 (15 ounce) cans
- 1 14.5 ounce can Red Gold® Diced Tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium sweet potatoes peeled and cute into 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Sour Cream optional
- Frito chips optional
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until sausage is thoroughly cooked; drain excess fat.
- Spray a 5 to 6 quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Add sausage and remaining ingredients, except the cheese.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 6 hours. Stir chili well before serving. Top each serving with cheese and sour cream. Use Frito chips for dipping, optional