It’s day three in the Christmas Spectacular series and have I got a treat for you!! Today I’m not only sharing a Holiday Gift Cake Recipe, but I’m also sharing a favorite Christmas tradition! My sweet friend Rachel coordinated this Christmas Traditions Blog Tour and I thought it was a fantastic way to share something yummy and some fond memories! If you’re stopping by from What Meegan Makes, WELCOME!! I’m tickled silly you’re here. Now let’s take a look at what I’m sharing today…
Doesn’t that look delicious!! Frosting drizzled over the cake with chopped pecans aaaand a cherry on top! What makes this cake so special? Well, I remember my mom making these when I was too little to help — then I remember helping her make them each Christmas — and now I enjoy making them for holiday gifts! These holiday cakes have been a tradition in the making for years and we always make them in soup cans! I think that makes them a little more unique than your standard loaf. Don’t you agree?
We not only made these cakes for gifts, but we always kept a couple for us to indulge in as well. On Christmas morning, we always enjoyed a slice or two (amongst other cookies) while opening presents! I guess you could say it was a breakfast appetizer since we always ate breakfast between opening gifts and diving into our stockings. Since I don’t have children, some traditions aren’t quite the same, but they were fond traditions and memories of my childhood. And it’s a delicious memory at best! (Love you, Mom!)
|Holiday Gift Cake Recipe|| |
- ½ cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 pkg. (8 oz) Philadelphia Cream Cheese, softened
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 2-1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
- ¾ cup chopped maraschino cherries, well drained
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 1-1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- 3-4 maraschino cherries, halved
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Grease approximately four to six 14-16 oz (empty, clean and dry) soup cans. Place ½ tbsp to 1 tbsp of flour in each can and throughly coat the inside. Set aside.
- Beat cream cheese, butter, granulated sugar and vanilla in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, mixing well after each addition; set aside.
- Sift 2 cups of the flour with the baking powder. Gradually add to cream cheese mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Toss remaining ¼ cup flour with the cherries and ½ cup chopped pecans; gently stir into batter.
- Pour into prepared cans. Fill each can ½ to ¾ full. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in center(s) comes out clean.
- Cool 5-10 minutes. Loosen cakes from side of can with spatula or knife; gently remove cakes from cans. Cool completely on wire rack.
- Mix powdered sugar and milk and drizzle over each cake. Sprinkle ½ cup finely chopped pecans over cakes and top with ½ of maraschino cherry.
So, tell me, what is one of your favorite Christmas traditions?
Be sure to swing by Primitive and Proper to see what Cassie is sharing!
And find other great traditions here: Christmas Traditions Blog Tour
Here’s to spreading a little extra merry!
Don’t forget to see what the other ladies are up
to in the Christmas Spectacular series too!