It’s day three in the Christmas Spectacular series and have I got a treat for you!! Today I’m not only sharing a Holiday Gift Cake Recipe, but I’m also sharing a favorite Christmas tradition! My sweet friend Rachel coordinated this Christmas Traditions Blog Tour and I thought it was a fantastic way to share something yummy and some fond memories! If you’re stopping by from What Meegan Makes, WELCOME!! I’m tickled silly you’re here. Now let’s take a look at what I’m sharing today…
Doesn’t that look delicious!! Frosting drizzled over the cake with chopped pecans aaaand a cherry on top! What makes this cake so special? Well, I remember my mom making these when I was too little to help — then I remember helping her make them each Christmas — and now I enjoy making them for holiday gifts! These holiday cakes have been a tradition in the making for years and we always make them in soup cans! I think that makes them a little more unique than your standard loaf. Don’t you agree?
We not only made these cakes for gifts, but we always kept a couple for us to indulge in as well. On Christmas morning, we always enjoyed a slice or two (amongst other cookies) while opening presents! I guess you could say it was a breakfast appetizer since we always ate breakfast between opening gifts and diving into our stockings. Since I don’t have children, some traditions aren’t quite the same, but they were fond traditions and memories of my childhood. And it’s a delicious memory at best! (Love you, Mom!)
Holiday Gift Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 pkg. 8 oz Philadelphia Cream Cheese, softened
- 1 cup 2 sticks butter or margarine, softened
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 2-1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
- 3/4 cup chopped maraschino cherries well drained
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1-1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- 3-4 maraschino cherries halved
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Grease approximately four to six 14-16 oz (empty, clean and dry) soup cans. Place 1/2 tbsp to 1 tbsp of flour in each can and throughly coat the inside. Set aside.
- Beat cream cheese, butter, granulated sugar and vanilla in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, mixing well after each addition; set aside.
- Sift 2 cups of the flour with the baking powder. Gradually add to cream cheese mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Toss remaining 1/4 cup flour with the cherries and 1/2 cup chopped pecans; gently stir into batter.
- Pour into prepared cans. Fill each can 1/2 to 3/4 full. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in center(s) comes out clean.
- Cool 5-10 minutes. Loosen cakes from side of can with spatula or knife; gently remove cakes from cans. Cool completely on wire rack.
- Mix powdered sugar and milk and drizzle over each cake. Sprinkle 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans over cakes and top with 1/2 of maraschino cherry.
And find other great traditions here: Christmas Traditions Blog Tour
Here’s to spreading a little extra merry!
Don’t forget to see what the other ladies are up
to in the Christmas Spectacular series too!