Earlier today I shared a Slow Cooker Boneless Sirloin Tip Roast recipe! Now I’m going to share the recipe for a mouthwatering BBQ Carnitas Shredded Pork Sandwich.
Many times, it’s assumed that carnitas is made and used for a Mexican dish; however, the recipe I found suggested that there are many different ways to serve carnitas. So, I decided to add our favorite BBQ sauce and make a BBQ Carnitas Pork Sandwich. It was a hit around here… the hubs is already asking when I’m making it again.
BBQ Carnitas Pork Sandwich
- 1 4-5 lb boneless sirloin tip pork roast, fat removed, cut in 3-4" chunks
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup low sodium fat free chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 large onion chopped
- 15.2 oz can salsa approximately 2 cups
- 7 oz can salsa verde approximately 3/4 cup
- Honey BBQ Sauce
- Pat pork dry and sprinkle with seasoned salt. In Dutch oven over med-high heat, add oil and brown pork pieces on all sides. Remove pork and set aside; add chicken broth and deglaze the pan, stirring in the browned bits from the bottom.
- Place browned pork pieces in slow cooker. Pour on the chicken broth liquid that was used to deglaze the Dutch oven. Sprinkle on the black pepper; top with the garlic, onions, salsa and salsa verde. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours, until fork tender.
- Transfer cooked pork to cutting board and shred it using two forks; discard fat. Degrease the cooking liquid left in the pan.
- Preheat oven to 300. Place the shredded pork in a large shallow baking pan. Pour up to 2-3 cups of the degreased cooking liquid over the pork. Bake uncovered for 30 min. or until crispy pieces appear on top. Remove from oven and stir. Return to oven for 20 minutes or until crispy pieces appear again on top. Repeat baking, crisping, and stirring in 10-20 min. intervals until all or most of the liquid is gone from bottom of pan. For a moister meat, cook until approx. 1/4" liquid remains on bottom of pan, stirring remaining liquid back into the shredded pork. For dryer/crisper meat, cook until all liquid has cooked away.
- Add BBQ sauce to desired taste and serve on kaiser roll.
Our absolute favorite BBQ Sauce is Sweet Baby Ray’s Honey Barbecue Sauce. Seriously, that flavor paired with the coleslaw made these BBQ Pork Carnitas Sandwiches absolutely mouthwatering. I think I might have impressed my own taste buds! Pure comfort food, friends.
And, let me also add that using the coleslaw as a dressing really took this sandwich to a whole new level. AMAZING!
If you missed the Slow Cooker Boneless Sirloin Tip Roast, be sure to take a looksy — it’s another delicious dish and made in the slow cooker.