One of my favorite salads is the Taco Salad. How about you? Do you like them? While the Taco Salad in the Mexican restaurants are a little more high in fat, I’ve managed to make one at home that is lower in fat, but equally tasty!
Taco Salad Recipe
Refried Beans are the star of the show in this recipe. Unfortunately, if you don’t like refried beans, you may not like this recipe. The salsa serves as the tomatoes and the tortilla chips are the crunchy croutons. Add some cheese and possibly some sour cream to the mix — and you’re ready to roll.
Grab your favorite flavor salsa, which can add a little heat, a little sweetness, or whatever flavor you might be aiming for. I don’t care for spicy foods (nor does my stomach), so I lean toward the mild salsa.
Now that I’m thinking about it, a Taco Salad Bar would be fantastic… with a variety of
dressings salsas to choose from!
|Low Fat Taco Salad|| |
- 2 Heads of Romaine Lettuce
- 1 cup Fat Free Refried Beans
- ½ to 1 cup Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 cup Wholly Salsa (or to taste)
- Tortilla Chips
- Sour Cream, optional
- Pepper, to taste
- Cut and rinse your lettuce.
- Split the lettuce evenly between two plates.
- Spoon refried beans on salad.
- Sprinkle each salad with half of the mozzarella cheese and half of the salsa
- Crumble a small handful of tortilla chips over the salad and add sour cream, optional.
- Add a dash of pepper and serve.
This salad is delicious, low in fat and super easy! How can you possibly beat that? I make them often throughout the year, but they are especially great on a HOT summer day where you just don’t want to turn that oven on (wink).