These homemade salted caramels are perfect for some sweet gift giving and the touch of salt makes them extra special!
You have to admit that receiving a homemade or handmade gift makes you feel all warm and fuzzy all over! Right? Well, with the holidays quickly approaching, I have been putting a lot of thought into some homemade gift ideas. Something I’ve never done before is make caramel. I think I was frightened to death that it might require some kind of masterful skill. Guess what? It didn’t! YAY. I did a little research and most of the ingredients were sitting in my cupboard, and the one item that I would need to add to my kitchen gadgets would be a candy thermometer. I also decided to get my hands on some candy wrappers rather than hand cutting my own. My sweet friend, Chris, from SweetC01 sent me some fabulous wrappers! Great prices and super fast shipping, you can’t beat that! Once I checked those two items off, I was ready to put my candy making skills to the test.
I spent most of the morning in the kitchen, as I decided to try two different recipes. The first one was for Salted Caramels from Betty Crocker. This recipe took a little longer and the caramels were a little harder. It yielded 30-35 caramels (depending on the size you cut the caramels) , but that didn’t change the incredible flavor! These were amazing!
The other recipe I made was a for a softer caramel and it made almost double the amount of caramels. This one was delicious as well — they melted in your mouth! I adapted this one a bit, so let’s take a look!
Homemade Salted Caramels
- Grease a 13x9 inch pan and set aside.
- Combine all ingredients, except vanilla in a 4-quart saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until butter is melted and mixture comes to a boil (approximately 15-20 minutes).
- Continue cooking, until candy thermometer reaches 244 degrees F.
- Remove from heat, stir in vanilla.
- Pour into prepared pan. Cool approximately 20 minutes. Sprinkle coarse sea salt evenly over top. Cool completely on cooling rack.
- Store refrigerated.
enjoy, sweet friends!