As you all know, I have two fur babies that I love to death!! And with the holidays quickly approaching, I had to do a little baking for them. A long time ago I found this recipe online (via Betty Crocker) and decided now was the time to give it a go. Homemade Paw Print Dog Treats with carob chips and peanut butter? Your dogs will be barking with holiday cheer!
I’ll be honest and say that I was extremely intimidated by this recipe. The perfectionist in me said, “Don’t do it, Kel.” Do you know how those pep talks seem to go?!? Haha.
I learned that using the cap of a sharpie marker worked great from the smaller ‘pads’ of the paw and my pointer finger thumbprint worked perfectly for the larger one. Until you get into the groove of the piping into small areas, expect to ruin a few treats.
No biggy, plus the dogs want to eat them, not stare at them, right? My boys loved them. I’ll be gifting a few to their neighborhood pals too. Woof-woof!
Homemade Paw Print Dog Treats
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1 tablespoon Jif creamy peanut butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin not pumpkin pie mix
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Paw Print Topping
- 1/2 cup carob chips
- 2 tablespoons Jif creamy peanut butter
- Heat oven to 300.
- In a large bowl, stir dog treat ingredients until soft dough forms.
- Divide dough in half. Using brown rice floured surface and rolling pin, roll each half to 1/4 to 1/8" thick. Cut with 1 1/2". On an ungreased cookie sheet, place cutouts about 1-inch apart. Use fingers to press paw print indents in cookies.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until dry. Remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
Paw Print Topping.
- In a small microwaveable bowl, microwave carob chips and peanut butter uncovered on high for 20-30 seconds or until mixture can be stirred smooth. Spoon into a resealable plastic sandwich bag. Use scissors to snip a small hole in corner of the bag. Squeeze bag to pipe carob mixture in paw indents of cookies. Gently tap the cookies on the cooling rack or counter for topping to fill the indents. Allow cookies to stand at room temperature for about 1 hour or until carob mixtures are set.
- Store in dog treat jar at room temperature up to 3 weeks.
Hugs + Blessings,