Pizza. Who doesn’t love pizza?
Thin crust. Deep Dish.
Pepperoni. Cheese. Mushrooms.
Just thinking about it makes me hungry!
My absolute favorite pizza is New York style. My parents (Hi Mom! Hi Dad!) live across the street from Neil’s Pizzeria in Wayne, New Jersey. When I go home, I could eat from there every day. True story! I love the over sized slices that you generally have to fold to eat. In close second is my husbands pizzas. He makes a mean BBQ Chicken pizza and Greek style pizza!
One of the more popular pizzas here in St. Louis is from Imo’s. It’s made with provel cheese. I love their veggie pizza and the the thin crust is perfection! I can even eat it when I’m dieting. Woot!
Today I thought I would share a different twist on pizza, Pepperoni Pizza Cups. A perfect finger food for you upcoming Super Bowl party, birthday party or family movie night!
|Pepperoni Pizza Cups|| |
- 1 pound frozen pizza dough or make it fresh
- 1 cup bottled sauce, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella or cheddar cheese (8 ounces)
- ½ of a 3.5-ounce package of sliced pepperoni, chopped*
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese (1 ounce)
- Preheat over to 375
- Let dough stand at room temperature for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, grease twelve 2-1/2 inch muffin cups.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into an approximate 16x12 inch rectangle. If you find the dough is difficult to roll, let it rest for a few more minutes, as necessary.
- Using a sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut into twelve 4-inch squares. Lightly press double squares into the prepared muffin cups, allowing edges to extend over rims of cups.
- In a small bowl combine pasta sauce and dried oregano. Spread some of the sauce mixture inside the dough-lined cups. Fill with mozzarella cheese and pepperoni*. Top with the remaining sauce mixture and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until crusts are golden.
- Cool in muffin cups on a wire rack for 5 minutes, remove from muffin cups and serve.
*Substitute your favorite topping(s) for the pepperoni. Toppings such as chopped mushrooms, Italian sausage, onions, peppers, etc.
A fun twist on the traditional pepperoni pizza, don’t you think?
What is you favorite kind of pizza? I’m so hungry now!