Don’t you just love Lemon Meringue Pie? It’s my husbands absolute favorite — so imagine his surprise when he found how delicious these Lemon Meringue Cupcakes were. A tart filling with meringue that is browned to perfection!
My sister stopped by after work one day and said that she had thee most amazing cupcake, a Lemon Meringue cupcake. Out of hunger and great curiosity, I asked her to get the recipe. She did better than that, she brought me a cupcake and the recipe! A big thanks to Michelle for her generosity.
I’m afraid she wasn’t exaggerating about the yummy goodness of that cupcake either. It was packed with flavor! You’ll most likely want to have another — and maybe even another (gulp). Ready to whip up your own batch?
|Lemon Meringue Cupcakes|| |
- 1 package lemon cake mix
- 1 and ⅓ cups milk
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 cup lemon crème pie filling
- 3 egg whites
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ cup sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, milk, oil, eggs and lemon peel; beat on low for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350 degrees for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert a very small tip. Fill with pie filling. Push the tip into the top of each cupcake to fill.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Pipe over tops of cupcakes.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 5-8 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool.
- Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator.