These Chocolate Gingerbread Man Cookies have just a hint of chocolate with plenty of gingery spice. They are perfect for holiday cookie trays or for gift giving!
Hi, y’all! I’m super excited to be here while Kelly is away! Some of you may be familiar with my blog, but for those who aren’t, my name is Jamie and I blog at Love Bakes Good Cakes. Over at my place, you’ll find family-friendly recipes that are easy on the budget. As a homeschooling mom with five kiddos, I know how important it is to get the gang fed without breaking the bank!
Now that we’re settling into November, I’m starting to think about all of the holiday events coming up in the next month or so. Geez. It’s exhausting just thinking about it, isn’t it?! Between Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s – this is the craziest time of the year for me. I bet it is for you, too!
I don’t know about you, but I like to keep our menu more simple this time of year with lots of comfort food and plenty of quick dinner ideas. This strategy gives me more time to focus on the baking my family and friends love from my kitchen this time of the year! 😉
Often times, holiday baking includes my children. They love to help prepare (and eat!) all of the goodies we crank out! My kiddos especially love to help me make and decorate these Chocolate Gingerbread Man Cookies! With just a hint of chocolate and plenty of gingery spice, these cookies are sure to be a hit on any holiday cookie tray!
As a side note, these Chocolate Gingerbread Man Cookies also make a great gift idea – just place the baked cookies in a tissue-lined box with assorted candies and sprinkles. Include a tube or two of decorator frosting with the recipe and a gingerbread man cookie cutter for a super simple homemade gift!
Chocolate Gingerbread Men
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup molasses
- 2 1 oz. each squares semi-sweet baking chocolate
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ cup milk
- Decorator icing and assorted candies & sprinkles
- In the top of a double boiler, combine the butter, molasses and chocolate squares. Heat until the chocolate melts, stirring until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, ginger and salt. Stir in the molasses mixture and milk. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate at least one hour or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. With a rolling pin, roll the dough to ¼-inch thick. Dip a gingerbread man cookie cutter into flour and cut the dough into shapes. Place cookies cut-outs on Sil-pat or parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake for 10 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on pan for 3 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.
- Decorate with icing and candies as desired.
If you would like some other cookie ideas, be sure to check out my Italian Anise Cookies, Christmas Chocolate Drops, Chocolate Cherry Thumbprints or these Peppermint Meringues. I hope you enjoy. Have a fabulous holiday season, y’all!