There’s nothing sticky about this Chinese Sticky Chicken recipe, but it’s sure to become a family favorite!
Approximately 10-11 years ago, I was visiting my then boyfriend (now husband) here in St. Louis. We saw this recipe in a magazine and thought we’d give it a try. We worked together in his small apartment kitchen, and were pleasantly surprised at the incredible flavor this dish had to offer.
I had kind of forgotten about this recipe until recently and decided it was time to make it again. Of course I wanted to share it with you too.
Ironically, I remember making this dish for the first time for my parents too. It’s always been a dish that gets raving reviews — and someone asks for the recipe. That’s always a sign that this is a recipe you want to hold on to.
Chinese Sticky Chicken Recipe
- 1 cup finely crushed Garlic and Butter Croutons 5 oz bag
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tbsp. light soy sauce
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- Chopped scallions for garnish
- In a large bowl, whisk crouton crumbs, onion powder and cornstarch. Stir in soy sauce.
- Add chicken and toss until completely coated. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and cook, covered, for approximately 20 minutes (or until cooked through, nice and crispy). Turn 4-5 times to avoid burning.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve immediately with additional soy sauce and chopped scallions over a bed of white rice.
Looking for a perfect side dish to accompany the Sticky Chinese Chicken? Steamed sugar snap peas are a favorite of mine.
All of these flavors combined are so amazing. I’m so glad I found this recipe again — and so is my husband. Whenever I say, “guess what I’m making tonight?” 95% of the time his first guess is, “Sticky Chicken? “
One thing I appreciate about this dish is that it’s not only delicious, but it takes me on a stroll down memory lane too. I hope you and your family enjoy it as much as we do.