I not only have a fabulous zucchini recipe that I’m sharing with you today, but I thought I would share the story behind the recipe as well. It was fun to reminisce to some of the events before I said, “I do.”
When I was engaged, I drove home (to New Jersey) for a shower my mom was hosting in New Jersey. It was a Pampered Chef wedding shower and I got so many incredible pieces from pots and pans to cooking stones to several pieces that were perfect for entertaining. For the wife-to-be (ME!), it was a dream come true! One of the fabulous things my mom and sister did for me was purchase a stainless steel recipe box and had it engraved with Recipes then asked friends and family to provide a recipe (on coordinating recipe cards) to fill the box up. I truly loved this gift and throughout my first year of marriage I gave most of them a whirl. Some were huge wins and others were so-so. However, one of those recipes was for a delicious Zucchini Casserole from a family friend. I adapted it a bit, but it’s in the official rotation in our home, especially when zucchini is in season. My husband gets giddy when he knows it’s on the menu! Yes, it’s that good!
|Zucchini Casserole|| |
- 3-4 cups, zucchini, cubed
- 2 carrots, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 1 onion, grated
- 1 cup sour cream (8 oz. container)
- 1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 8 oz. Pepperidge Farm Herb Seasoned Stuffing (divided)
- ½ cup butter, melted
- Steam zucchini until tender, drain.
- In a large skillet, melt butter. Add carrots and onion, saute until tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream and soup (right out of the can). Stir in drained zucchini and half of the stuffing (approximately 2 heaping cups). Mix until stuffing is coated.
- Pour into a greased 3 qt. baking dish.
- Top evenly with remaining stuffing, cover with foil and bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until hot.
The stuffing baked on top of this casserole adds a perfect amount of crunch, but each ingredient compliments the others. Paired with a side of apple sauce or a green salad, this meal is a real crowd pleaser. I hope you enjoy!
Other dinner recipes that might interest you…